Hiccups
Baby Boy Basque has been getting the hiccups about once a day for the past three weeks. His first hiccup that I noticed was about a month ago now (mid May). They are on the underside of my big round belly, last between 5 and 20 minutes and feel very strange. Hiccups in yourself are never enjoyable, but when they're happening just above your hips and you don't feel them coming they're even stranger. At first we thought it was super fun. Unlike his normal more random seeming movements, these are regular and easy to feel from the outside. For about two weeks Alan and I loved the hiccups; they were a sign that our little boy was developing good strong lungs and muscles and was getting ready to come see us! Then I started to notice that when the little guy gets hiccups his arms start moving more and his little legs start kicking more. I think the hiccups freak him out. Poor thing. Now I try to pet my belly and make calming noises when he gets hiccups. Alan will talk to him too. They seem less frequent in the last week, so hopefully he's had some peace!
Movement
Lots of people have mentioned that babies start getting their routines in place while still in the womb and continue on the same schedule after they're hanging outside. Our little guy definitely has a personality and a schedule! He is much more active early in the morning. Usually any time I'm awake after 3:00 he's also awake and moving around like mad. He settles down around 7 or so and is back up and moving by 8:30 and exercising until mid morning. I think he's going to be a VERY early riser, but be a good afternoon napper. We will all just get used to the schedule!
Extreme Weather
At the end of May we okay-ed Larry to remove the heater from the house. It's May after all, who needs a heater? Answer: People who live in Chicago. Memorial day weekend it was so cold. It actually was 38 degrees on the main level of our house. We of course had a room upstairs that was insulated and had lots of blankets so we were fine when we were snuggled in - and honestly our old master bedroom was about that cold in the winter because it was never insulated - but when Colleen came to visit she was not amused at how cold the house was. Luckily it was only that cold for a couple days and then it turned HOT. It suddenly was 100 degrees in Chicago. I really wasn't that bothered by the cold, but the heat was torture. My beautiful ankles that had not swollen a bit were suddenly the size of bread loaves. My fingers were hotdogs. It was insane how a switch flipped and the swelling was just on. We went to a couple movies to get a few hours to really cool down. The little air conditioner in our bedroom window just couldn't get the room cool enough for me. Thankfully, Chicago weather just wanted to show me how bad it could get so I appreciated the overcast, cool, rainy June. Since those three or four 100 degree days we've been in 60-75 degree, rainy days and they are just fine by me!
How am I feeling
I am now officially 37 weeks, aka Full Term. Those are such big words to me. Like any mom, I've been always a little concerned about this little guy wanting to come out too soon. Now that he's full term that worry is gone! He is ready to face this world whenever his little heart desires. As a result, emotionally that is one huge load off of my mind.
I have adamantly thought that I would be having him early - mid-June has been my feeling, but suddenly mid-June is now. I haven't 'dropped' at all. He's still sitting like a basketball right in my mid-belly. I am moving slowly and man do my feet and hips ache, but those are pretty normal pregnancy issues and none signify pending labor. Maybe I'll be wrong and he really will wait until the end of June or even we'll manage to hang on until July and he will really be a 4th of July baby.
Beyond the regular aches and pains, I've been pretty stressed about the house and how not done it is. After a suggestion from Dad&Kiki and much discussion, Alan and I have decided to rent an apartment for a couple months. We found a tiny furnished apartment at the end of the block where we will hopefully be moving this weekend. It's far from glamorous, but it is construction free. That means we can sleep in and relax and most importantly not have to worry about little Baby Boy Basque's lungs around the construction dust. It's a huge load off and he just needs to stay tucked in for another week before we'll have a perfect place for him.
No comments:
Post a Comment