Sunday, March 3, 2013

2nd Home haircut

The first haircut I gave Simon didn't work out exactly as I'd planned. For Simon's second haircut I actually prepared. Novel, I know. 

We purchased a children's clipper kit that included a very nice cape, the clipper, a pair of scissors and just generally felt more official then the scissors pulled from my sewing basket. It also came with a little how-to dvd which I watched with Alan today at nap time. Alan and I had very different takeaways from this 10 minute how-to... Alan reasonably thought it had looked hard. I of course thought - piece of cake!  

Luckily they suggested having the kid watch a DVD to keep him focused on the entertainment instead of the buzzer. It reminded me of the same lesson I had supposedly already learned with the first haircut at home (with Simon constantly grabbing at the scissors) and I reflected that that was the key with the professional haircut. Distraction. So we set him up to watch an episode of Blues Clues on the computer. It was quite the success. Simon stayed relatively still and we got to cut his whole head. 

It took the whole episode but I'm sure I'll get faster. I say I, but really Alan did his fair share of clipping. It was easier if you could step back for a second and see what was going on - but we didn't want to let Simon get used to no clipper.

Here is a before...
"This whole cape thing is suspicious,
but I get to watch Blues Clues so I'm sure it can't be bad."

Unfortunately I caught him with the clipper edge once and gave him a little nick above his right ear, which he barely seemed to notice but did bleed a spot, beyond that it went rather smoothly. I'm sure I/we will get better with time, but I think it came out pretty good.

All done and I look great!

Lots of before and after pictures after the jump....


Before from the front.
Before from behind.


Here we go....
Focus.
Half way done... looking ok. I was a bit nervous at this point.

After from behind.
After both haircut and bath from the front - with attitude.



If you're curious, we used a 1/2 inch on the bottom and faded up to 7/8ths inch at the top. I think next time the top could be longer, but this definitely doesn't look bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment