Last Thursday I took the day off work to go to the doctor's office. They needed me to drink a special glucose drink (essentially kool-aid without enough water) and sit around and have my blood drawn for a few hours. It was not something I was looking forward to just for the blood draws, but the purpose of the test was to check if I was gestationally diabetic. Not that anyone wants that, but I REALLY didn't want that.
I had to go on a special "eat more carbs and fruit, no sweets" diet, then fast before the test. I ate dinner at 7:30ish on Wednesday and the test started at nine on Thursday. I did okay getting myself to the doctor's office that morning, but by 12:30 - after four blood draws and still no food - I was a mess. Alan thankfully met me at the office and walked me someplace new with the most delicious grilled cheese and tomato soup I've ever eaten. It was a fun cafe inside a grocery store so we swung by and got some candies (since if I failed that would be the end of candies). Because four hours isn't enough, after lunch we went back to the doctor and did another ultrasound. The pictures aren't as good as the last round because he's getting big! But Alan will post details on that later.
Thankfully, the doctor called yesterday evening and told me that the results came back great. I'm healthy and the baby is looking good. We'll get one more ultrasound in four to six weeks just to check in, but my third trimester has started off quite well!
Ugh, I hated that test! I threw up in the middle and had to do it again. Glad to hear everything is going well for you.
ReplyDelete