Friday, April 29, 2011

Belly Mapping

Last weekend Alan and I started looking into 'Belly Mapping'. It was something the teacher in our childbirth classes mentioned and you can only do it in your last two months. That makes us the tiniest bit early, but we figured we'd try anyway.

I learned quite a bit, like what I thought was his head and would often pet is mostly likely his butt. Whoops. At least I got his little arms and legs right!

We thought we'd be able to feel him out because he isn't in the normal 'birthing position' yet with his head down, facing my back. Our little one won't settle for normal and instead usually lies crosswise in my belly, with his head on one side and his butt on the other and his tickly little hands and feet facing either up or down. He rolls a lot still and is big enough to give me a lurch when he abruptly changes position. When he's changing position, he's moving from that horizontal position to the far right side of my belly. Apparently that is the place to be. Often I'll look down at my belly and find it completely lop sided. When I touch my belly there's a rounded, hard spot (his butt not his head!) in the upper right just under my ribs and then a longer solid part down my side (which is his back). On the left side there is no baby, so it is soft and you can push your fingers into it a bit.

His little limbs have gotten long enough to poke into my back a bit and up and down. Sometimes I'll find a little foot (or hand, I can't tell them apart yet) poking at my back and you can feel it from the outside! That of course is always only on my right side.

As a side note, all directions are from MY perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment