Friday, March 21, 2014

Find a Way to Play, Together.

Sometime around the beginning of the year Alan found what is essentially a continuation of Mr Roger's Neighborhood in animated form: Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood. It is made by the Mr Rodgers Foundation and the creators of Blues Clues and the characters are all the children of the characters from the Land of Make-believe from Mr Rodger's Neighborhood. Each show has a a little theme song that is only phrase or two and is usually surprisingly catchy.

Daniel Tiger is Simon's new favorite TV show.

This morning Simon woke up while I was getting ready and Alan was in the shower. I popped in and told Simon he could choose between going downstairs to eat by himself right then or sitting upstairs and reading quietly with me while I finished getting ready. He wanted to stay upstairs but was noisy and woke Lillian. Simon then got mad that I went to hold Lillian and was going to change/feed her before feeding him. So we talked it through, the three of us, and decided that Simon would wait while Lillian got changed and then Lillian would wait while we made Simon's breakfast and then both kids would eat at the same time. We implemented the plan without a hitch. 

When we were downstairs, Simon eating cereal at the table and Lillian nursing on the couch, Simon looked at me and sang the phrase: 'Find a way to Play Together' from Daniel Tiger. I was totally surprised and so happy. It's been days since we saw that episode but that's exactly what we did - we found a way to make everyone happy. Love that kid.

The song on PBS.org: Find a Way to Play Together.

No comments:

Post a Comment