Alan and I took Simon to his first baseball game on Wednesday. It was at Wrigley field and was Chicago Cubs vs. Cincinnati Reds.
 |
Taking it all in. So much to see.
|
Story and pictures after jump...
We woke him up early from his nap (12:30) and headed out immediately. I'd forgotten what a long walk it was, but Simon was a trooper - an excited trooper - for the whole 3/4 mile walk. Simon started getting nervous as we walked into the main crowd funneling into the gates. We were there at 1 for a 1:20 game hoping to see the national anthem. With the mass of people trying to funnel into the doors Simon was a little scared; I was happy for the excuse to hold him since I certainly didn't want him getting stepped on in the pushing crowd. Sadly the bag check line took forever so we missed the anthem.
We got to our seats at 1:18, just in time to see the teams take the field. We had amazing seats (8th row behind the dugout on the 3rd base side) that were given to us by my coworker whose family has season tickets. We expected to stay for only a few innings, but Simon was totally into it the whole time. He was so busy looking at the crowd and figuring out our seats that he didn't actually realize the guys on the field were throwing a ball until the second inning. I even accidentally dropped the bowl of blueberries we brought him as a snack around the 4th inning and Alan and I thought that that would be the end. But he was very chill about it and it meant that he got to split another hot dog with Daddy so he was probably happier about in the end. (They shared THREE hotdogs! I was so jealous, pregnant ladies can't eat hot dogs.)
At the top of the 9th I called it. I wanted to get up and walk around (those seats are uncomfortable after a few hours!) and mostly I wanted to get a rickshaw home so I/we didn't have to walk back. We had to tear the little guy away, he totally didn't want to go until everyone else was gone. But when we got outside and he saw that he got to ride on the rickshaw he was pretty thrilled. The last hour or so of the afternoon Alan and Simon played baseball in the back yard and when they came in Simon told me about how he pitched and he batted too.
To sum up -- He totally loved the game. We will definitely try to get another one in this season. This morning (2 days later) he woke up at 5:30 and starting saying BASEBALL! BASEBALL!
 |
| First inning, still not really looking at the players yet. |
 |
| Mama and Simon. (Mama is 27 weeks pregnant! Amazed Simon still fits on the lap.) |
 |
| That's Mama! |
 |
| Daddy and Simon. (A First - we couldn't get Simon to look at the camera/phone!) |
 |
| Family Self Portrait |
 |
| The pitch... |
 |
| And the batter swings! |
 |
| Ball is in the air, up and back to the balcony seats. |
 |
| Landed right there! |
 |
| Family Picture. |
No comments:
Post a Comment