Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Stuffy Nose (Be Prepared for Complaints)

I'm finally getting over the first illness I've had during the pregnancy. On the surface it appeared to be a simple cold - but it was much more malevolent than that. My nose was so stuffy! I am not usually one to take anything when I am sick, but man I really wanted some NyQuil or Sudafed or _something_. Sleeping is hard enough with our huge baby wiggling around in my belly, but not being able to breathe adds a really not fun dimension to that.

I am certain that I got sick from standing in cold, dirty water all night Wednesday night and Saturday night. As a side note - Alan's post and pictures about Wednesday night's flood didn't quite convey the magnitude of water that was pouring from our ceiling. It was more water than the quantity of four showers and coming in anywhere within a 2 to 3 foot radius. We filled buckets in a minute and the sink couldn't keep up with the water we were dumping into it. Finally we just threw in the towel (forgive me) and made the levee in that picture Alan took.

These are the worst things about being sick this past week:

1. Showering in a bathroom with no roof means that you're actually standing in whatever temperature it is outside. It's been *really* cold this week (42 degrees on Monday morning).
2. A sick lady doesn't find much comfort staying home from work in a cold, powerless house with workmen coming in and out and pounding on the roof. (But keep making the roof!) So I went to work throughout.
3. The desire to nest and clean is just an annoying nag in the back of my brain because every time dirty water comes into the kitchen the whole place needs another top to bottom sanitation and sick ladies (and husbands taking care of sick pregnant ladies) just don't have time for that.

This is the one good thing:
When a pregnant lady has a cold, the baby doesn't even notice. We had a checkup on Monday and everything looked great.

1 comment:

  1. OK, so it doesn't sound like there's a lot of difference between living in your house right now and camping, except maybe a soft bed. Want some extra camping gear?

    ReplyDelete